"Well-behaved women seldom make history."
- Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Saturday 1 November 2014

Yakuzas in Japan

My favourite question about Japan: Have you ever seen any yakuza there? You won't believe how many people are asking me that if I mention I was working in Japan or by email when they read my articles here. Funny, but Japan is not all about yakuza.
But answering the question: yes, I met a few. If you've been in Japan probably you met them too as you can't see the difference between a well-dressed yakuza and an average businessman. They don't like to show off. You can easily pass him on the street without knowing. They even hide their tattoos in public places as they don't want you to know. Not like some western gangsters that put all the signals on themselves showing they are the tough guys. They came often in the club I worked. Not a big deal, they never spent on girls just talked about their own business. And you don't want to interrupt.. especially when the guy has some missing fingers! (Cutting the finger means punishment or apology amongst them.) I had this customer once. I didn't even want to know his name.

If you'd like to read more, visit my website.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the story - I see you survived Japan :-)
    When you have to decide to go to China or Japan - which one do you prefer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I am adventurous. I would go back to both! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha ha - always an interesting anwser -
    maybe you can teach people about the human jungle ...what do you think?

    ReplyDelete